Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A Nice Commisson



I've been blessed to have a customer who, on many occasions,
has commissioned me to make her hats. That in itself should
be a wonderful thing, but the really great thing about working
with this client is that she doesn't try to tie my hands.
She gives me some basic guidelines (she's fond of the little
cocktail hats) and tells me to do my thing.

This particular time she sent me a dress that she's going to
be wearing to an art museum event, a satiny little number the
color of a brand-new penny. I got to go out on a hunt for the
perfect fabric and immediately fell in love with some upholstery
material that I found. It suits the dress so well because the
dominating color is the same color in the dress and the little floral-like embellishments are the color of the satin material
when it appears in shadow—as it does around the collar where there are folds and gathers of the same material.

I'm really excited about the project and am including sketches of the design that I hope to execute once I get the
thumbs up from her.

5 comments:

Rebecca MacNeill said...

So cute. Can't wait to hear how she likes it.

Ahvarahn said...

hello dear,

glad to see your creative soul is singing. i have my own commission, a certain dvd commission that i am very late with and now that i have freed myself from other things, i can get lost in it. i hope you are well.

be well
himself

Miss Janey said...

Looks like it'll be lovely. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Whitney Alexanderson Heavey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Whitney Alexanderson Heavey said...

Great to see your sketches. I loved seeing part of the creative process. Perfect description of the color! You are a role model on how to enthusiastically embrace commissions!!